Sunday 23 September 2012


India Crush T20 Champions by 90 runs










Who would have thought that the three most underrated Indian players: Rohit, Harbhajan and Chawla, would be the architects of a win against the defending champions. What's more, dismissing them for below 100 and in the process achieving their heaviest win ( by margin of runs). To be fair, England's batsmen had no clue against some pretty decent spin bowling ( it was nothing extraordinary). Some of the shots played by the batsmen were inexplicable. The scorecard paints a sorry picture, but it is a very correct one. Take Kieswetter out of the equation and England's score stands at a miserable 45/9.

On the brighter side, for India fans, this is bound to create a selectorial headache for the team camp. Harbhajan and Piyush Chawla's figures raise the question as to who will play the important Super 8 games. Will it be three spinners, Zaheer and Irfan? Will Sehwag remain on the sidelines?

Broad: ' We were happy conceding 170. We did not get it right with the ball. I think we probably did not bowl tightly at the start. We were not as efficient as we should have been. We wanted to take a look at the balance of our side. It was worth having a look. We will reassess. The dots came when we started losing wickets. India closed the game really well. I have seen guys in the team playing spin extremely well. We had a bad day, but it does not affect us. We have had two pretty average performances and some really good performances. '

Dhoni:' I think it was a fantastic performance after resting a few key players. We batted really well. We were not aiming too high as we had 5 bowlers and they responded well. It's a difficult one, we have requested the senior players to try a few players. They responded well. Irfan is gutsy and he takes up challenges. The middle order remained the same. That was a good sign for us. Response from the spinners was brilliant. Our fast bowlers were not bowling really well. Let's go back to our basics. We gave both spinners chances and now we have a problem of plenty. If the guys are responding, you need to give them some extra games. When you get desperate to perform, you don't really do well. Rohit can play a variety of strokes. We will have to see the interest of the team. All the players who missed the games have won India a lot of players single-handedly.'

Harbhajan Singh is the Man of the Match.

Harbhajan Singh:' First of all I would like to thank God. Ya, I'm back. I have been dropped because of injuries and other boys were doing well. God is great and he gave me 4 wickets. For me it was an important game, I was not playing international games for a year. Taking wickets was much needed. This reward is for my mom and close people who have stuck to me. In T20 cricket, it's important to just read the game and cut down the run-up. I was not able to control the ball. I bowled with a shorter run-up. This is everything for me, without playing for India, what I would do. Special thanks to the boys, who supported me when I was out. I would like to thank Sussex people as well. Hopefully I can continue to do well.'

No comments:

Post a Comment